Thursday, February 19, 2009

Valentine's Day

On Valentine's Day, Matt and I were long gone in sunny St. George. So we celebrated with out kids on Friday morning.

Growing up my mom always made Valentine's Day special with a little treat at dinner time waiting on our plates. It was the only day she set the table for dinner herself, and the only day we offered and offered to help! We always had a little heart full of Valentine's candy and a little gift, a magazine or a cute pen or something like that.

I have always continued that tradition with my own family. Only we do it for breakfast because Matt and I often go out Valentine's night. I'm in charge of the candy and gift and Matt makes and writes the Valentines. We always make our own family Valentines. And though I now make mine out of "scrapbook" paper, construction paper Valentines will always be the real thing to me.

This year I decided to just get a dollar item for each of the kids. But then I had an ill-fated trip to the BYU bookstore. I found some books I just had to get, Gallop and Swing by Rufus Butler Seder. Have you seen them? They are scanimation picture books, if that means anything to you. In other words, the pictures move as you open the pages. You really ought to check them out. They went to the boys, so then I had to get some for our girls, too. Everyone was happy.

We had pink heart pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream, juice and bacon. It was delicious and so fun. As soon as we learn how to download pictures from our new camera, I'll post some.

Hope you had a great Valentine's Day, too!

No comments: