Friday, January 21, 2011

One by One

Today we're having a birthday party for my oldest, Dawn.  She turned 11 in December, but, well...you know December.  So today we are having a friend party.  She's so excited.  It's not a huge affair, but it is hers.

Having 6 kids is, well, busy.  Really busy.  We try to focus on each child, knowing each one has an infinite amount of worth, love and life inside.  But as I mention, we're busy.  And I know you are busy, too.  That's the life we have.

But you know the story about Jesus and blessing the children, the one where he is very tired and his disciples try to give him rest by sending the throng away.  (Throng would be a good word for how my family feels at times!).  But Jesus welcomes them, beckons them.  And then he blesses them one by one. 

One by one.  Each one individually.  So that's what we try to do with our kids.  All too often we don't get it done.  We try to have one on one "special times" with each child.  It varies a lot.  So we are working on it.  And tonight Dawn gets the attention.  It isn't one on one by any means.  But it is a special favor just for her, just to help her feel special.  To help her know that we value just her, all by herself.  Because she is worth it. 

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh, I love this! Thanks for the reminder.

KaseyQ said...

Stumbled across your blog and it's great! I love connecting with other moms in blogland. I only have 3 kids but it's still hard to evenly ration out the one-on-one time. I just started a new blog called The Silly Mom (www.thesillymom.blogspot.com) and it's just frequent short posts about ways to make parenting more fun. :-)

Thanks for the enjoyable few moments I spent reading your blog today! I look forward to reading more!