Friday, April 4, 2008

Mail order nurseries

My front flower bed, July 2007

I've ordered plants from a few nurseries. I have been less than pleased and less than successful in growing some of these specimens. So when I found this list in a magazine, I saved it. Maybe you'd like to see it too.

The top five nurseries:
Bluestone Perennials
Forestfarm
Lazy S'S Farm Nursery
High Country Gardens
Garden Crossings

The Bottom Five:
Michigan Bulb Co
Wayside Gardens
Gardener's Choice
Direct Gardening
Four Seasons Nursery

Do you have any experience with these? I've used Michigan Bulb (not good) and Wayside Gardens (okay).

Also check out www.GardenWatchdog.com for a VERY comprehensive list of nurseries.

3 comments:

Alisa said...

I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I appreciate the list! We are planning on investing quite a bit into the pre-planned gardens at High Country Gardens.

This year I've also received plants from Gardners' Supply Company and its sister company, Dutch Gardens. The first was five raspberry canes from GSC, which while cheap ($3 each), came in bare roots that were very dry when they arrived. There was a note saying, "Whatever you do, don't let the roots dry out." Hmmm.

Yesterday I got my order of three coneflower plants from Dutch Gardens. They were packaged nicely, the plants were in good shape and potted in moist soil, and they came with lots of good directions and a reference guide for other garden planting, so I'm happy about that. I really hope these work out. I've decided that I love coneflowers!

Shelly said...

I check daily to see if that little girl had made her way into the world yet. I love that your little Andrew has taken such a keen interest in cleaning your belly. That is possibly the cutest thing I've ever heard.
I wish I were in a house were I could plant a garden. We live among lots of trees and we have not "front" yard (or back yard for that matter) to speak of. There are some squares near our front steps that I might take some liberty with. I want so much to be someone who grows things well. Without any yard, though, I may go crazy this summer driving to parks so Charlie can get his wiggles out.
Waiting patiently with you ;o)

Unknown said...

We often recommend our customers click on Garden Watchdog before buying from us or any mail order nursery.