Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Our miracle

Yesterday we took Rachel to the doctor where she had a urinary tract infection diagnosed and treated. She felt pretty good that day and the next. Tuesday afternoon after school she said she had a headache just starting. Then she crashed, slept for 1 1/2 hours. She woke up, still feeling yucky and watched a movie.

After the movie, she was crying, getting chills and calling for me. I touched her and she was burning up. I took her temperature and it was 105.8 in one ear and 106.5in the other. I am not kidding. It is still recorded on our digital thermometer. We DIDN'T freak out (but almost), gave her medicine, whisked her off to a cold bath and prayed. Matt gave her a priesthood blessing.

In a few hours she was down to 104, but still miserable. We gave her some different medicine. In a few hours she was down to 101, ate dinner and even jumped around a bit.

This morning she had no fever and felt great. We weren't planning on sending her to school, but she wanted to and seemed fine. So off she went.

And we prayed our thanks to our Father.

Our own miracle.


Alisa said...

I'm so glad Rachel is feeling better.

At first glance, the thermometer looked like a pregnancy test. Haha!

Lindsay said...

Yikes that is scary. I am so glad all is well.

Julie M. said...

Whoa! That is a little high!! I would be freaking out, and not even think of a cold bath. I'm glad she's feeling better!

Paige said...

I was worried about her all night. I am very glad she is feeling better.

Tarbet Family said...

My name is Rachel Tarbet. I'm actually one of Amanda's friends. I am from Bear Lake, but I live in Rock Springs now. I was just trying to find some friends, and I wasn't sure who this blog belongs too, so when I clicked on it and saw the thermometer I wanted to write and tell you about my scares. My little boy was running a fever one night, and I put him in the tub, I came back down stairs from getting his pjs and he was having a siezure, he stopped breathing and went completely blue, then white. He wasn't breathing the whole way to the hospital. It was a huge snow storm, and the lady wouldn't let us in the hospital doors because it was after hours and it wasn't the ER entrance. Anyway when he got him all calmed down and breathing again, his fever was 105.6. Which we didn't know how high it got, but he had a siezure from the high fever. They're called febrile siezures. He had another one four months later and we went to the ER again. He was 2 years old. I thought my son was dying. Anyway they gave me papers and made me watch a video on how to control fevers. I just wanted to let you know. I think every mother should know, because it was the worst experience i've ever had. When you said you put her in a cold bath, they told me that was the worst thing to do. The cold actually puts their body in distress and causes the body to take action to warm it's self up. It causes the fever to rise. They recommended a luke warm bath. They did however say to put cool (not cold) washcloths on his head. I just wanted to express my sympathy for that scary night. Alternating tylenol and mortrin every three hours is the way to go, I'm an expert not . We go to the doctor every time there's a fever. I'm just to worried. Anyway I hope this helps.

Brooke said...

Thanks, Rachel. That is so scary. I appreciate the clarification. We did give her a luke warm bath and used cool washclothes. Of course, they don't stay cool long on such a hot forehead.

While I do have a medical background, I mostly credit our Priesthood blessing. I think I'll put up another post for information for others, if you don't mind.