Monday, March 31, 2008

Make-a-list-Monday: Shrubs for shade

Top: red twig dogwood, boxwood
Bottom: mountain lover, ninebark


Just for you Kevin. I found this list of shrubs for shade at www.LarrySagers.com right here. It also lists all other kinds of shade loving (or tolerating) plants. Just beware, many of these grow way too big for comfort.

Shrubs for shady areas
"Flourish in filtered light"
1. Red twig and yellow twig dogwood
2. ninebark
3. thimbleberry
4. mountain lover
5. snowberry

"Tried and true"
6. barberry (these are thorny)
7. boxwood
8. euonymus (like burning bush, but I think that specific one needs light to get its nice red color)
9. laurels
10. yews

"Tolerate some shade"
11. Kolkwitzia
12. Oregon grape
13. mock orange
14. honeysuckle
15. viburnums

"for something a little more unusual"
16. hydrangeas
17. Japanese maples
18. a few azaleas and rhododendrons.

P.S. Here are a few good hostas.

3 comments:

Alisa said...

I love this post! I am having Kevin read it right away. How timely for our new flowerbeds!

Kevin said...

I'm flattered to have a post dedicated to me and my quest for a shade shrub. Thanks for the info!

Brooke said...

You just got me curious. I didn't really know what would do well in the shade. I love learning this kind of thing.