Wednesday, May 9, 2007

My favorite Slaw recipe of all time

I like Kentucky Fried Chicken's coleslaw, I do. But I don't love most coleslaws. Let's face it, they can all be so different as to leave the question in your mind if they can honestly call themselves coleslaw.

Yesterday I was searching through my recipes and re-found my all time favorite slaw recipe. It is not at all a typical coleslaw. But it contains shredded cabbage and so it qualifies. Here it is.

Apple Slaw (it tastes a lot more fabulous than its name implies)

Mix together:
1 cup slivered tart red apple
1 c shredded green cabbage (I usually use a coleslaw bag and use much more than this)
4 very thin onion slices (I like to use purple onions)
1 tbsp snipped fresh cilantro

Mix together in a separate bowl:
1/2 tsp shredded lime peel
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1/8 tsp salt
(the recipe doesn't call for it, but I often add a little sugar, maybe a teaspoon or so)

This makes 2 cups, but trust me, you'll need a whole lot more.